Yep, God Is Still Sovereign:
Just a couple of articles, and a brief explanation/thought to help encourage the reader in biblical doctrine. This is nothing one couldn’t find on his own, but I desire to make them available to those who visit here as well. I need not say everything on my own, if there is someone who has said it well already.
May The LORD be magnified in, through, and by it all!
The doctrine of God’s Sovereignty is one which (to use put it in a more contemporary manner) “blows our minds”. Rarely do I speak with anyone concerning theology that the question of His Sovereignty and how it relates to man’s responsibility relate. They assume that they must deny part of the first in order for God to be just in upholding the second. This message by Spurgeon is helpful. A 5 point Calvinists – he finds no inconsistency in evangelism, and a universal offer of the gospel. This is true calvinism – this is Biblical Christianity. Read Sovereign Grace and Man’s Responsibility.
This is another article that may be of assistance (whether you are struggling with this doctrine, or just attempting to better understand it to teach it to others). I also can’t tell you how many times I’ve been told “If God is sovereign in all things then you don’t need to evangelize.” Maybe this article will help you explain to others why their reasoning in that way is not biblical. Read If God is Sovereign, Why Do Anything?
Here is a brief definition of God’s sovereignty.
“This simply refers to the fact that all things are under His rule and control, and that nothing happens in this Universe without His direction or permission. He is a God Who works, not just some things, but all things after the counsel of His own will (see Eph. 1:11). God’s purpose is all- inclusive and is never thwarted (see Isa. 46:11). Nothing Takes Him by Surprise
“It is not merely that God has the power and right to govern all things but that He does so always and without exception.” – John Piper
* God is sovereign over the entire universe: Ps 103:19; Rom 8:28; Eph 1:11
* God is sovereign over all of nature: Ps 135:6-7; Mt 5:45; 6:25-30
* God is sovereign over angels & Satan: Ps 103:20-21; Job 1:12
* God is sovereign over nations: Ps 47:7-9; Dan 2:20-21; 4:34-35
* God is sovereign over human beings: 1 Sam 2:6-7; Gal 1:15-16
* God is sovereign over animals: Ps 104:21-30; 1 Ki 17:4-6
* God is sovereign over “accidents”: Pr 16:33; Jon 1:7; Mt 10:29
* God is sovereign over free acts of men: Ex 3:21; 12:25-36; Ez 7:27
* God is sovereign over sinful acts of men and Satan: 2 Sam 24:1; 1 Chr 21:1; Gen 45:5; 50:20″